Shawarma is a popular dish in the middle Eastern, is made of marinated meat that has been roasted for some minutes. shawarma contains some fillings like garbage, roasted meat, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, onions e t c.
Honestly guys this is my first time trying this shawarma process and it came out so yummy and tasty and more so this is the first time I tasted shawarma because I am not always in good mood whenever my siblings came home with it and since I have some of the ingredients in my kitchen so I decided to give it a try.
People always said that shawarma takes time and that the stress is too much, yes it takes time but it worth the time because of the end product will make you forget all the time and energy Channel on it.
So if you can take your time to pound yam and prepare egusi soup, you can also make out time to prepare you shawarma too and I know you we not regret the time used on it.
There are several bread that are used for making shawarma you can choose any of it e.g Pita bread, Tortilla wrap, Naan bread e.t.c
People use different type of meat select the meat of your choice e.g beef, chicken, lamb goatmeat.
So let us go to the ingredients and list them out, it’s going to be a long list.
For the chicken
- Lemon juice ( from a lemon fruits)
- Vegetable oil (or any cooking oil of your choice)
- Black pepper ( ½ teaspoon)
- 3 clove of garlic ( minced?)
- ½ teaspoon of tumeric powder ( or use curry)
- Cinnamon powder ½ teaspoon
- Chicken thighs ( boneless)
- 1 big onion ( sliced)
- Cooking salt 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon of ginger ( minced)
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- ½ tsp thyme
Ingredients for shawarma sauce
- 3 tablespoonful mayonnaise
- Pepper sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoonful of ketchup
For shawarma filling
- Cucumber ( cut into thin strips)
- Carrot ( grated)
- Garbage ( grated)
- Hotdogs ( Fried)
- 4 pita bread
– cut your chicken sides into strips ( 1½inches pieces) and set aside
– prepare your marinade by adding all the ingredients into a bowl. Add minced garlic, Pepper, salt, vegetable oil cinnamon ginger nutmeg e.t.c
– mix the ingredients together then add lemon juice and mix again
– the consistency should be thick and not watery add your chicken and mix very well
– leave it for some minutes to rest you can also put it inside fridge for some hours
– In the process of waiting for your marinade chicken take your fruits and wash it.
– Cut your clean fruits cabbage, carrot cucumber and set aside.
– Now add black pepper or you can also use chili pepper. Add mayonnaise and pepper sauce and ketchup mix all together and after mixing very well add your cut cabbage, carrot and cucumber into the mayonnaise and ketchup mixture.
– now grill your chicken make sure the flame is on high heat.
– use a non-stick pan for the grilling, add about 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. When the oil is very hot carefully place the marinade chicken inside it .
– do not over crowd your pan, flip the chicken to all side for it to cook very well.
– cook until marinade dries up completely
ALSO CHECK: Easy Homemade Bread recipe
For the shawarma wrap
On a flat plate, Place a pita bread and add the grilled meat then add your mixed fruit and place the hotdog beside then wrap.
Enjoy your shawarma
Stella Aleem simply Stellaleem is a content editor at MamaJayFoods.com
I’m a wife, a mother, I love cooking and I’ve decided from day one to be teaching people all what I know.