How to prepare healthy date syrup.
We cannot dispute the fact that God has already blessed us with a lot of natural fruits which help our body system and part of this fruit is date.
Date is known as Esoo Meka in Yoruba language, It’s also called dabino in hausa language.
Date is an edible sweet fruit, which is very common among northern people in Africa. It as a lot of benefits in it. Some of these benefits are;
- Is prevent night blindness
- It treats sexual weakness
- Lower cholesterol
- It promote heart health
- It prevent abdominal cancer
- Good source of phenolic.
- This is also an energy booster
- It helps with a healthy delivery because eating dates can help the heath of mother and baby.
But on this topic we are going to be learning how to make healthy date syrup.
Date syrup is cheap and healthy. It contains fibre, high in antioxidant and you don’t need to empty your bank account to make this syrup, it is amazing natural sweetener.
Date syrup can be used for babies starting from 6 months.
Date syrup is best sweetener for babies and toddler, because giving sugar to your baby is not advisable and more so you can’t give baby that is under 1 year honey, because a baby get botulism by consuming clostridium botulinum spore found honey and Honey products.
This spore can turn into bacteria in the bowels which can produce harmful toxins in the body.
So in order not to put our babies in this kind of risk making date syrup is a substitute for honey.
The amazing part is that it’s not only babies that can used date syrup, adult also can use it. we all know that consuming a lot of sugar is not good for the body so using date syrup can help in that aspect.
To make date syrup we need just two ingredients
- Date fruits
- A pot
- A sieve
- Gas or stove
How to make date syrup
- Clean your date by washing it with water because of the dust that might I’ve settled on it in the market.
- Chop your date into small pieces and remove the pits in it.
- Soak your chopped dates in boiling water for about 80 minutes.
- Sieve out the water used to soak it in a bowl.
- Put your soak dates in the blender with the water you used to soak it and blend ( you can use Masher if you don’t have blender).
- Pour the juice into the sieve and strain out the liquid ( but if you want the puree type syrup, skip this process just poured directly to pot after blending).
- Pour it into the pot and let it boil for like 30 to 45 minutes so that excess water will be dried off from it.
- Stir it continuously so it will not burn from the bottom.
- After the water dried up you will have a tick and sticky syrup. Remove from the fire and allow it to cool completely and pour into your airtight jar.
Your syrup is ready.
What you can use date syrup with
It can be added to different kinds of drinks
You can use it on your toast bread.
It’s good add it to your smoothies
You can use on your desserts.
It can be used on Pancake.
It can be use for oatmeal.
Mix with your beverages.
You can add to your pap.
Use on your cookies.
Use it to bake cake. E.t.c
People always ask if date syrup is healthy, yes it is because it’s all natural products. It doesn’t have any preservatives in it, there is no need to add additional sugar or addictive.
For the fact that it has a lot of vitamin and minerals which our body needs is considered safe to use.
ALSO CHECK:Nigerian Puff Puff: Home Made Puff Puff
Date syrup is usually one of the healthiest sweetener you can consume, but what we should understand is that too much of everything is bad for the body. we still need to be careful on the amount of date syrup we add to our daily meal.
For those that want to loose weight, but can’t do without sweetener date syrup is good for you,because it doesn’t contain any fat or cholesterol and is Rich in protein.
How to store
Dates syrup can be kept inside airtight container or jar.
It Should be kept in a cool place or you can put it inside refrigerator.
If you don’t have refrigerator is not a big deal just make sure the jar is well tight.
How long can it stay?
Dates syrup can last up to 18 months or more.
There are some dates syrup in the supermarket that have added Sugar in it so preparing your own date syrup is the best and if you have a supplier that you can trust to save energy it good.
So choose wisely.
Stella Aleem simply Stellaleem is a content editor at MamaJayFoods.com
I’m a wife, a mother, I love cooking and I’ve decided from day one to be teaching people all what I know.